Wednesday 27 March 2013

Wednesday Remembering

This is a regular post featuring an old picture of mine, usually from former travels, with a short description of the story behind the photo.

Egypt.
I always think about Egypt at this time of year. In 2006 I spent several weeks travelling around Egypt during Easter break. I have three friends from uni who are Egyptian, it was lovely to get to see their homes and cities and to see parts of Cairo and Alexandria that we wouldn't have done otherwise. The Coptic Church celebrates Easter later than western Christians and it is traditional for Copts to fast for 40 days before Easter, this is done by having a vegan diet.
The hostel where we stayed in Cairo was very close to Tahrir Square and the National Museum, we crossed the square most days we were in town and ate at cafes and restaurants around the edges regularly. It has been amazing to see the streets we walked down feature so largely on the worlds stage and all of hte transformation over the past couple of years.
I'm hopeful that change will be for the better.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience you must have had, there's nothing like travelling around a country with people who know the place well and to be invited into homes to really experience local culture - I'm very envious, it's somewhere I haven't been and makes me nostalgic remembering all the fantastic trips we used to take before kids!
    I'm so pleased you like my peterpan collar pattern, I hope it makes sense and that you have the chance to hook one up :o)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful and amazing experience I knew about the Egypt travel from your blog and want to know more because I want to make my tour memorable. So take me the click on your next post. Well! If you want to take the tour package while if you travel to Egypt then check down at:www.ask-aladdin.com

    ReplyDelete